Monday, October 24, 2011

!Feliz Navidad!

Christmas marketing is in full swing here. On my trip to class the other day in the taxi, we listened to Feliz Navidad! In a Philippine restaurant (Jollibee) I ate to Jingle Bells. There are plenty of Santa Clauses around too. I'm just getting geared up for the marketing blitz at home! (I took this picture from my taxi. The sign must be 70 feet tall or something like that. They have lots of gargantuan signs to get your attention!)

Yesterday in class, the first group of people preached through the book of Jonah. It is great to experience the giftedness of these men. It is also wonderful to be taken again through the wonder of the writing of the Bible. It is just amazing!

I love the surprise of the book of Jonah that the people who truly respond well to God are all pagan enemies of Israel. And the prophet of Israel is the one who responds so poorly. And this story is told by the people of Israel. So much for the post-modern theory that people make themselves the heroes of the stories they tell. Of course that is often the case, but it certainly isn't here.

What is amazing in this book is the patience and mercy of God with a rebellious child. I am thankful for this heart of God. And as one of my students preached, it is not enough to know God. He longs to have his mercy reflected in his people. Am I willing to be so patient and merciful? Unfortunately, no. I mean I agree that it would be best, but I often don't have it in me. And that's why I can relate with Jonah! And that's why this book is such good news.

God doesn't come to bless the good. Rather, he comes to rescue the lost, the unmerciful, people like me.

And hearing these men preach this powerful book, I long to preach this book among people who need to hear this great news! If only people knew the God they so quickly brush aside or even disdain! May we be messengers who bring such good news!

No comments:

Post a Comment