Sunday, October 16, 2011

Getting acclimated

Today was a day for getting acclimated. I got up at my normal time for class so that I would be ready to do so tomorrow. I had a good breakfast and then took an exciting taxi ride for about 35 minutes to get to Manila Baptist Church. Obviously the rules of driving etiquette are different in different places! I was sure we were going to get in multiple accidents, but the car didn't have dents and we did fine, so obviously the driver knows what he is doing!

The time at church was very encouraging. It is great to see the heart of the people for missions! It challenges me to think outside of my normal boundaries, both in terms of how I think about missions and in terms of how I think of my life. They presented a fascinating quote: you only have one candle to burn, so why not burn it where light is most needed?




This afternoon I visited a local shopping mall. Actually, it is the biggest and most active shopping mall I’ve ever seen! It just keeps going and going, with floors above ground as well as below ground. It even has an annex that is a separate 6 story (or so) building. And there were loads of people! Apparently it is a good place to go to escape some of the heat.

I’ve done a bit of review for class which starts in the morning. I’m excited and nervous. It will be great to meet these men whom I’ll be teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment