Thursday, October 27, 2011

Preaching from the heart, and being productive

Today we had our first batch of people's second sermons. As we got ready for the sermons, I was nervous. Would the work we have done in class make a difference? I so much want them to do well, and, selfishly, I want to believe that we aren't just going through motions.

Long story short, I was very encouraged. And more importantly, they were very encouraged. As I require them to preach completely without notes in the second sermon, it feels very risky for everyone. Note that they are not to say whatever comes to mind. In particular, they give me their outline, and part of their grade is whether or not they follow their outline.

What is exciting is that their own expression afterward is that they spoke from their hearts, and they sensed God at work as they did. Rather than saying what the paper said, they said what they had studied and made a part of themselves over the previous days. And they spoke to us, not to imaginary people. The eye contact and passion was so much stronger than before.

But even more, I am encouraged by the power of the Bible. Paul wrote a letter to Titus close to 2,000 years ago, and the words still speak today. They challenge us with real life today just as they addressed reality back then. And they taught me. I was challenged about how I should be leading my family, and I was challenged about how leadership in churches should run.

My colleague here expressed pity with my having to listen to so many sermons! I will have heard 16 this week ... at one a week, I wouldn't have to be in church again until February 19! But actually, I have been encouraged and refreshed. It is a privilege to sit before these men as they express from their hearts the truth of God's word because they believe it deeply and long to help us put it into practice.

And that actually is the big idea Paul had with this letter to Titus: the same grace that saves us also teaches to become like God. It isn't two things ... salvation and growing in godliness. It is the same grace that does both, and when people are inclined to separate being saved from growing to be more like God, they are separating something that Paul said was inseparable. God himself does good works and brings good to other people, and so God's people are to do the same. Living like God truly is the most productive way to live. The alternatives are actually, as Paul says, worthless and unproductive.

I am thankful for the privilege to learn from these men, and hopefully, in some way, also provide a useful service to them as they serve God's people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment