Friday, October 28, 2011

Wrapping up

Today we finished class. These two weeks have gone very quickly! It has been a pleasure to get to know these men, and it has been a privilege to play a role, I hope in some part, in their growth as ministers.

I continue to be amazed at God's Word and the power it has when proclaimed! It speaks to their congregations that are in worlds so different from my own, and so different from the world of Crete where Titus was serving when Paul wrote his letter to him. It carries the message of the Grace of God that brings salvation and that transforms lives today. In fact, that is a key theme of Titus -- that same grace that saves us without any work of our own transforms us so that we are zealous to do good works! We work hard not to be saved, but because we have been saved, and both are the work of God's grace.

Teaching has a way of clarifying the teacher's thinking, and teaching this course again has certainly done that for me. It clarifies my convictions about the role and strategies of preaching. And it clarifies for me my convictions about what makes preaching more effective.

An adage that I was taught some time ago rings more and more true: when you go to your study to prepare to preach, you must be absolutely convinced that *you* have nothing to say! The message must be manifestly from the text. When it is, make it clear, make it relevant, and be sure it has captured your own heart and mind as well. And through it all, trust that God is at work.

So I wrap up this episode in the journey. Now the trip home. The taxi is to come to the guest house here at 3am so I can get to the airport 3 hours ahead of the 6:45am departure. It is a big travel weekend here in the Philippines so delays are likely.

Thank you for praying and for your interest in this adventure. I will be glad to share more of my reflections as things continue to percolate in my heart and mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment